Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Blog Entry #1



After reading "Original Sin: A Short Story." I immediately began to think of the bible story of Adam and Eve due to the title and the first few lines. “Nodding its head rattling like a gourd” made me think of the snake of the Adam and Eve story temping the speaker to do or think of a bad memory in their past. It also made me think of temptation and death. I felt the story described someone being tempted to do something that was not in their character. The speaker has had a difficult past that was so horrible it resembled death. Lines in the poem make me think that the speakers bad past continuously haunts them such as “Later you may hear it wander the dark house.” The poem also makes me believe that the speaker wants to forget about the sin they have committed but the thought continues in their memory. The line “Or it goes to the backyard and stands like an old horse cold in the pasture” makes me think that no matter what the speaker is doing in the back of their mind the memory lies there and always will haunt them.

No comments:

Post a Comment